HomeShopTutorialsMy Gallery Country LivingDriftwoodFurniture PaintingGolden Minds

Sunday 2 September 2012

DIY - Decoupage On Metal And Shabby Chic Tutorial

How many of you decided to get rid of unnecessary items from your home and garden or replace them with new, tailored to the interior of your kitchen or bathroom decorations?
Simply by following my steps you can change any dull and boring object into an attractive decoration.
This is easy, quick, cheap DIY and above all you don't need great painting or decorating skills.



                                                           MATERIALS NEEDED

  • metal containers/tins
  • washing liquid
  • acrylic paints (light, dark - ivory, brown)
  • medium drit sand paper
  • paper napkin
  • kitchen sponge (cut for small pieces)
  • small piece of candle
  •  acrylic varnish (matt or gloss) 
  • decorative string, rafia 


1. Wash the metal containers with washing liquid and wipe dry.
2. Rub with medium grit sandpaper and flick 
 the dust. This is a very important step before painting.


 3. I have decided to mix two colours of paint, a little of gold and a little of bronze. 
You can use any colour you have at home but make sure that the first coat is darker than the top one.


4. Slowly coat the tin with the base coat without leaving bleeds and bubbles. How I usually say, tap tap slowly your tin and leave to dry. This will create the smooth surface.


5. Now I'm going to age the container by rubbing a candle in selected places. Remove bits of wax before next step. 


6. Apply top coat of light paint leave to dry. At this step you can start cutting your chosen motif.


 7. When your tin is completely dry ( I usually leave it for at least 12 hours) start your shabby chic process by going all over your metal object with medium grit sandpaper. 


8. Separate the remaining two layers and gently apply the motif using Pva glue, when dry repeat the step.






 9. Add a bit of shading and finally varnish at least three times with acrylic lacquer.
10. As a final touch you can add a decorative ribbon or anything you prefer. 




Enjoy the creative process.....

24 comments:

  1. I love this idea and will certainly give it ago...I decoupaged with napkins some old and empty Bisto containers of various sizes...great fun, now I have my art brushes and pencils etc in them...off to find an empty tin lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is just amazing! I love your chickens! :D Great job!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! those turned out so beautiful! Great instructions too. I might try it :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I have mentioned you on my blog here:

    http://pinsandneedlesworcester.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/sharing-craftfest-lurve.html

    Have a happy and successful Craftfest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharing the Lurve
    I Have mentioned you on my blog here
    http://thedressmakerscloset.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/pass-on-craftfest-lurve.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your canisters and your tutorial is wonderful. The roosters make them so charming. I have done this technique on several types of surfaces and ornaments too using pretty napkins. It is fun. Have a great week.
    Hugs, CM

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun idea! and great tutorial, thanks Joanna :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday, to you, Joanna,
    Cute canisters...would love to see them on an old bucket!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Υπέροχες δημιουργίες!!Πολύ όμορφο μπλογκ!!Θα σε επισκέπτομαι και θα τα λέμε!!Φιλιά και καλό Φθινόπωρο!!!Sophie from Greece...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned out great! Thanks for sharing your techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a great technique with brilliant instructions Joanne and thanks for joining my blog followers. Nice to have you along.
    Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I love decoupage! Beautiful!
    Congratulations!
    Mari Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot for sharing this decoupage process!!!!!!!
    In fact, I have several similar containers waiting to be transformed and your tutorial is ideal for them!!!!!

    Lisi

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful - I haven't tried decoupage before but you've given clear and simple instructions. Will try this out soon. Thanks.

    Agy from Green Issues

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing! I also prefer diy projects at home instead of just buying new stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you . These three containers deserved embellishing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is just what I can try out! we have so many metal cans at home, I will make them look different now ) thanks for tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You do such beautiful work! I just love these. Thanks for the great tutorial and it's so nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great tutorial - that's inspiring - thanx for sharing!
    greetings - gudrun

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea....! I just love your thought and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a blast! Besides having a great grasp of perspective, what a great…grasp of perspective…such artists have to pour so much heart into something so ephemeral.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I've been following your blog for a while but this is actually my first comment here. Just because I am so inspired with this idea. It seems to me that this is so romantic and warm, to realize this kind of buckets in my house too. It took me a while before I found a place here in Norwich (UK) to buy a descent amount of metal buckets to make this idea come true. So I'd like to share the place, hope you don't mind: http://apromera.com/. Those guys deliver across UK and whole Europe as well. When I get the job done - will try not to forget to share photos with you.

    Regards, Rob

    ReplyDelete

Hello dear readers and friends. Your presence on my blog is very valuable and your nice comments much appreciated. So please sit down and and enjoy with me my virtual journey. :)